Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Interview with Mark Levin!
(completed 9/9/04)
Mr. Levin can be heard online at www.wabcradio.com following Sean Hannity. At first he comes off as brash and obnoxious but after awhile you can get onto his "vibe." But I'm sure if you're reading this you've already made up your mind as to whether you hate him or love him! But love him or hate him - his program is always engaging, enlightening and entertaining...
What brought you into the world of Talk Radio? Was there a series of events that led you up to the point where you felt you wanted your own radio program or was it something that you always wanted to do?
I've been an avid talk radio listener since I was 12 or 13 years old. I lived in Philadelphia and used to adjust my radio dial late at night to pick up Bob Grant, among others. When I was 16, I actually hosted a radio show for one-day on the old WCAU AM (CBS). A friend was a early morning DJ on another Philly station, WWDB FM, and I'd observe him hosting every now and then. I always wanted to host a radio show, but I never really expected to. So, I went into law and politics, eventually met Rush and Sean, and the rest is history.
What types of music do you like to listen to when you are relaxing?
I like all types of music. Always have. I suppose my favorite is Motown.
What are your favorite Motown artists, and why?
Temptations, Four Tops, Al Green ... I also like Ray Charles. Why? It's really not a matter of "why." It just is.
How many hours a day do you spend preparing for the program?
I prepare many, many hours. Although I also run a legal foundation, I am constantly looking at the day's news. It never ends. Right after I go off the air, until I'm back on the next evening. I also do additional research to add some history and context to current events.
Can you please describe your dream vacation?
I don't take enough vacations, but I like spending time with my family. The location is secondary.
What was the last great fiction book that you read?
I mostly read non-fiction. I believe I'm the last person on the face of the earth to have read the Hunt for Red October, which I finished about 2 weeks ago. I saw the movie years ago.
Which daily newspaper is your favorite and why?
I have two: New York Post and Washington Times. But I read many.
Do you ever feel politics are driving you to "the brink" and just want to escape from it all?
There are times when I tire of politics, but not often. Politics is but one area of my interest. History, economics, law and, most of all, family.
Have you ever gotten hate mail? If so do you ever try to communicate with the person so you can maybe change their mind?
I don't respond to hate mail. I do, from time to time, respond to people who disagree with me, depending on my time availability.
What host(s) do you think are under-rated and deserve a much larger audience? Please explain...
I honestly don't listen to many other hosts, except Rush and Sean whenever I can.
Do you have any sort of "studio rituals" that help you get through a program like cup of coffee on the left, newspapers to the right, etc?
I have my computer screen at the right back of my desk, my clock at the center back of my desk, and my printer at the left back of my desk. I usually have the TV on the Fox News Channel (muted, of course) to make sure I'm on top of any breaking news. My show-prep papers are placed in the order I plan on using them, although that frequently changes depending on the course of the show. I usually have a glass of water of either Diet Dr. Pepper or Diet Coke on my desk as well.
What's the deal with calling Sean "Doctor" and Sean calling you "Doctor"? How did that get started?
Sean used to do a segment each week in which he gave helpful advice to callers. So, I would call in with a joke, and refer to him as Dr. Hannity. He would call me Dr. Levin. That's how it started.
Any last comments...feel free to say whatever you want....
I am blessed to be a host on the best station in America, and to have the best audience in America. Not too bad for a first-time radio host.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home